Monday, July 28, 2014

Woodstock Crafting and Life Musings

I started this blog entry about a week ago, and still hadn't quite gotten round to finishing it, and even today I nearly didn't. Like a lot of things at the moment I appear to be decidedly distracted, unmotivated and generally just feeling a little out of spirits. I keep thinking I am focused enough to work on a project but I'm not exactly feeling everything that I am doing. So you can say I've hit a creative block, but not at the same time. 

I say it's not a complete block as I have been crafting over the past fortnight to sort out my outfit for a friend's 30th birthday, which had the fab theme of Woodstock. Somewhat before my time but nothing like a fancy dress party. 

I ended up doing a combination of buying a few odds and sods, and upcycling a few others to put together a fairly reasonable attempt at looking like I belonged in 1969. Part of my attire came in the form of a lot of friendship bracelets, bright colours, beads and flares. 





I'm not sure how, as a kid, I managed to make loads of these and not feel the urge to fling them out of the window.....


Fabric looks familiar? Why, yes it is. It's the very same one I used for the Frida Cushion.

I have been trying to make myself work on my dragon stumpwork piece. I was so utterly thrilled to design, and even to start it but as the weeks have worn on, the progress has slowed and the feeling of not quite being in the zone is starting to feel a little overwhelming to the point today I realised my heart just isn't in it. So I finished off what I had started at the weekend, stitching stretched pleated organza over the felt that made up the padding for the body and packed it away. I will return to it, I hate having unfinished wips, especially ones of this detail. But at the moment I'm not sure when.




I think it does really stem down to not knowing what direction I want to go in, what would ultimately make me happy is really starting to effect everything I do. I'm not disappearing, I'll still be blogging and making, but if things over the coming weeks go in strange directions, I hope you can bear with me, till I find my way. Perhaps I'll sign up to one of those month long challenges, get back to painting or...well I don't know. 

This isn't the first nor will it be the last time I've hit one of these barriers, and I know I am not alone in even hitting them. Tomorrow might suddenly be that lightbulb moment and everything clicks into place.


1 comment:

  1. Sometimes it's a slog! Take a break and keep on enjoying whatever you do!

    ReplyDelete