Monday, February 04, 2013

Great Oaks from Little Acorns Grow


As the saying goes. 

The little acorn in this case was a design I came up with based on Art Nouveau style, so very organic but with a sense of flair to it. I came up with a repeat pattern which enabled me to mirror it. The design was for a coat collar. A very special commission for a very special lady. It was an utter pleasure coming up with the design and subsequently stitching it. It gave me an opportunity to work on some very wonderful luxury cashmere fabric and to work in pure silk threads. 

I can't wait to see it attached to the coat, and when I do there will be more photographs! 

Following the completion of the collar, I was able to crack on with the second part of the commission which was to create a set of matching buttons. Which I completed last weekend. 

I chose to use the acorns on the collar, rather than try and create mini versions of the leaves. It also gave me more of excuse to do more of the very tactile acorn caps, which I should have added was a combination of hand dyed wool thread with a strand of silk thread, the stitch used was French Knots. 

It was rather tricky to get the fabric round the button blanks!


With the commission complete, I return once more to my own work, and whilst I have been a little lax on this side of things, I am slowly getting back up to full speed!

2 comments:

  1. the buttons look beautiful and I am sure the collar will be too

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those buttons, but the beautiful sheen on the leaves is really to die for.

    ReplyDelete